Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Cha trung hap (Vietnamese steamed egg with pork)

Leftover remix #2




Welcome to my second installation of recipe remixes.



But first...


I'm sick.  And it sucks.  So this post won't be very long.  But some of you may appreciate a shorter post! (I like to talk, er, type.)


The other day, I made egg rolls.  I prepared 1 pound of the ground pork mixture, but I decided that 4 dozen egg rolls would be too much so I only used half of the pork for the egg rolls.  I totally regret it now.. 4 dozen would have been perfect! (Not to eat at once, sillies.  I would have frozen most of them.)  But something good did come out the leftover pork - this unique recipe to share with you guys.


Cha trung hap means "steamed egg sausage/loaf".   It may sound a little weird, but just think of an omelette with sausage in it.  And yes, I know that omelettes aren't steamed, but steaming actually makes the eggs nice and fluffy and it means you can cook eggs evenly and without any oil.


This dish is usually steamed in a loaf pan, sliced, and served as part of a rice dish called "com tam".  Here's a great picture of com tam.  The yellow thing up front is the steamed egg.


From kevinEats.com
Now, I don't have a recipe for com tam yet, but one of these days I will.  'Cause it is good.  But you can just eat this with rice and be happy.




I initially steamed this in small ramekins, but the pictures didn't turn out very well, so then I fried the same mixture into an omelette.  Actually, it was more like a spanish tortilla, since I mixed everything into the eggs before I cooked it, rather than cooking the eggs and then topping the eggs with the other ingredients.  And lucky for me, those pictures turned out very well.


Cha trung hap (Vietnamese steamed egg with pork)
Serves 4-6
Print this recipe


Ingredients
1/2 egg roll filling recipe (minus spring roll wrappers, peanut oil, nuoc cham, and egg - if you are not making this as a leftover remix, omit the carrots as well)
5 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
Cilantro, to garnish


Directions
1. Bring 1.5 - 2 inches of water to a slow boil in a large pot with a lid.
2. Beat 5 whole eggs in a large bowl.  Add the pork mixture and mix well.  
3. Put the egg/pork mixture in a loaf pan lined with plastic wrap that hangs over the edges by 3-4 inches (it will make removal much easier - eggs stick!).  Beat the remaning egg yolks and set aside.  Place a steamer basket with legs with in the pot, making sure the water level is beneath the level of the steamer basket.  Place the loaf pan into the pot and cover.  Cook for approximately 30 minutes.  At around 25 minutes, pour the egg yolk mixture on top of the omelette.  This will give it a pretty yellow top.  At 30 minutes, use a toothpick or a skewer to test for doneness.  Take the skewer and stick it into the thickest part of the omelette.  You will be able to tell it is done if the skewer is clean.  If not, check at 2 minute intervals until the skewer comes out clean.
4. Remove the loaf pan from the pot and then remove the omelette from the loaf pan by lifting it out by the plastic wrap that you used to line the pan.  Cut into 1 inch slices and enjoy!
***Alternatively, if you would like to fry this like I did, take a large frying pan and heat 2 tablespoons of oil on medium-high heat.  Pour the mixture into the pan and cook for 3 minutes.  Turn and cook for another 2-3 minutes.  If your pan is not large enough, split into 2 batches.


Now, I am going to cuddle with Louers, because I know I can't get him sick (and he's an awesome cuddle-buddy)


Hot diggity dog.


xoxo <3


Nhu-Y

P.S. We are in the midst of my very first theme - Vietnamese food!  Since I am at home with my mom for the month, I am going to perfect my Vietnamese cooking skills :)