Sunday, July 31, 2011

Betty's


Hope everyone is having a happy Sunday, because I sure ain't.  Still feeling sick from a few days ago, and now I feel like vomiting my brains out  >_<.  I finally came back to my apartment and I had some grand plans to clean, do laundry, cook, etc, but all I did today was cuddle on the couch with my pup.  Mike left for Indianapolis today and I'm sadder than I thought I would be :(  Gotta be strong though. We're only going to be apart for a few months though, I can handle it!  Hopefully I will have more time to hang out with my roomie; we haven't been at our apartment together for more than 2 days at a time for quite some time!  

Ok, enough ranting, let's talk food!


Last night, Mikey and I went to the Short North district for a date night.  I looove the Short North - it's a little gem within Columbus, with art galleries, vintage shopping, and lots of great non-chain restaurants.  We did a little shopping before we ate to build up our appetites and I found a cute vintage yellow purse for only $19!  The strap is a little short, but for less than 20 bucks, I couldn't pass it up.


Oops, still haven't mentioned the food yet!  So I know in my last post, I said that we were going to try something new, but we ended up going to one of our favorites, Betty's.  It's a really tiny restaurant with no more than 15 tables smooshed into a long and narrow space and you usually have to wait for 40 minutes, but definitely worth it.  Betty's is super kitschy with pin-up girls covering the walls and crazy ceramic cats on the bar - by no means a "sophisticated" place - but it's really fun.  


For our drinks, Mike ordered a beer called Abita Purple Haze.  It was a wheat beer that had raspberry puree added after filtration.  Mike didn't like it much and said that it tasted watery.  I ordered the Mini Van - rose wine, sugar saturated raspberries, and soda.  Sweet and I could barely taste the alcohol, I loved it! (I'm a light-weight - it's an Asian thing.)










We ordered fried plantains served with a zesty yogurt sauce for an appetizer.  When it came out, I was less than impressed with the plating.  There were 5 or 6 pieces of plantains on a giant plate.  I thought that they would be immature and taste like potatoes, but they were nice and sweet like bananas. They weren't too greasy and tasted pretty good.  But I don't think I will be ordering it again because it was $8 for a teeny portion.



For our entrees, we ordered mac and cheese and meatloaf.  Both were wonderful.  We already knew that the mac and cheese was good (it was the reason we went to Betty's in the first place).  Their mac and cheese isn't the run of the mill mac and cheese! It has poblano peppers, sweet corn, and red onions.  OMG, so good.  And the cheese! The cheese is sooo creamy.  They must use evaporated milk or some sort of processed cheese, but I don't even care :).  The meatloaf was a recommendation from one of the docs that I worked with last year.  It was a good choice - Thanks Dr. Wexler!  Very moist and a hint of sweet from the bell peppers and it was even better with the ketchup sauce. Not much else to say about that, I mean how many words do you need to describe meatloaf?






Overall, we love Betty's.  It's not fancy, but it's good food and a fun environment.  Plus, there's a Jeni's like 2 blocks away.  No pictures of that unfortunately.. we started eating before we even paid!  But here's a picture of a crazy ass ride that we took while we were waiting in line for Jeni's - it's called the Cycle Tavern.  A pedal-powered bar-hopping tour.  I really can't describe it because I've never seen anything like it before, so take a look at their website



Whoa, this post is way longer than I thought it would be.  I'm starting my radiology rotation tomorrow, so I'll be back in a few days.  Talk to you then!


xoxo <3
Nhu-Y

No comments:

Post a Comment