Thursday, July 14, 2011

Chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter buttercream

Random acts of kindness


Welcome to my blog!  I have been planning on making a food blog for years, but I just haven't had time during med school.  Now that I am a fourth year student, I finally have some time!  Whee!  Here's a little bit of information on me: My name is Nhu-Y and I am from Ohio.  I am first generation Vietnamese and I grew up eating Vietnamese food.  I grew up in a smallish suburb, so there wasn't much variety in food (pizza, Applebees, American Chinese, fast food, etc).  When I got to college, my love for food began.  I got to try many different foods from different countries and cultures.  And when I got my first apartment, I could finally cook!  I love to try new cuisines and I love to try cooking different foods.  I don't have much time though, being a med student, so I will write about anything I cook whether it is fast and simple or ornate and complicated!




My first entry is for chocolate cupcakes with a peanut butter buttercream.  Here's why I made them: The latch on my trunk broke, and of course, it broke right before a thunderstorm.  The next day, I was outside tinkering with the latch when a total stranger pulled up and said that my trunk was open during the thunderstorm and he tried to close it for me.  Then, he fixed my trunk for me!  It was so kind of him, and it turns out that he is my downstairs neighbor, so I decided to make him some cupcakes as a token of my appreciation.  


Chocolate cupcakes (courtesy of Martha Stewart - my fav! )
Makes 12 cupcakes
Print this recipe


Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
    1 cup sugar
    3 large eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup sour cream
    6 peanut butter cups, halved

    Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners.

    2. Into a medium bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each, then beat in vanilla. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with sour cream and beginning and ending with flour.

    3. Pour batter into cups, filling each 3/4 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.

    4. Cool in pan 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.  Then pipe with frosting and top with half of a peanut butter cup.


    Peanut butter buttercream (courtesy of Food.com)
    Makes enough for 12 cupcakes
    Ingredients
    8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
    1/2 cup smooth peanut butter, don't use old-fashioned or natural brand
    3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
    1 pinch table salt
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 tablespoon heavy cream

    Directions:
    1. In standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat butter and peanut butter at medium-high speed until smooth, about 20 seconds.

    2. Add confectioners' sugar and salt; beat at medium-low speed until most of the sugar is moistened, about 45 seconds.

    3. Scrape down bowl and beat at medium speed until mixture is fully combined, about 15 seconds; scrape bowl, add vanilla and heavy cream, and beat at medium speed until incorporated, about 10 seconds, then increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, scraping down bowl once or twice.

    The final cupcake is moist and chocolatety, and the buttercream is not too sweet.  Make sure you beat it frosting for long enough so it is nice and fluffy.  Otherwise, it will deflate right after you pipe the frosting.  So yummy!!  

    That's it for today, but I will be back soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment