Monday, September 19, 2011

Banh xeo (Vietnamese crepes)

Moving


It's been a crazy busy two weeks, but I'm finally back.  I've missed you guys! In the past two weeks, I moved, completely unpacked, intubated several patients, visited my momma, and visited Mikey in Chicago (pictures to come!).  It was the most stressful move EVER.  I won't go into details, but let's just say there were so many trips to and from my third floor apartment that my legs felt like jelly by the end of the two days it took me to move.  And the next day, I felt like I had run a marathon.  Did I tell you that I HATE MOVING?  This is the eighth time I've moved in eight years.  And I have to move in 10 months when I graduate. Boo. Note to self: hire movers next time. Or buy an elevator. Or make friends with some big burly men (but Mikey probably wouldn't like that :))



Since I've been gone for so long, I have a treat for you guys!  I have a wonderful recipe for a Vietnamese dish called banh xeo.  This is one of my favorite Vietnamese dishes.  I remember asking my mom for it when I was a kid and I remember cramming it in my face when I was in Vietnam.  Now usually I eat like a lady - you know, fork, knife, napkin in the lap, small bites, etc.  But with banh xeo, I threw all of those manners out the door.  I ate with my bare hands and with a napkin tucked into my collar.  Attractive, I know.


So most if you probably don't know what banh xeo is because it's not commonly served here in the Midwest. It's not exactly a Vietnamese mecca here is good ol' Columbus, Ohio. So here's a little lesson: Banh xeo are a savory crepe filled with shrimp, pork, beansprouts and topped with nuoc cham (the quintessential Vietnamese dipping sauce).  French influence, but definitely Vietnamese flavor.  It looks like an omelet, but there are no eggs in it.  There is turmeric in the crepe batter that gives it a yellow color.  




There are a few ways to eat banh xeo. You can wrap it with lettuce and herbs and dip it in nuoc cham, sort of like a summer roll.  Or you can just top it with nuoc cham and eat it right off of the plate (that's what I like to do).


I've included a recipe for the crepe batter, but I always buy a mix at the Asian market.  It's really cheap (like less than $2) and all you have to do is add water.  Some regions of Vietnam make the crepe batter with coconut milk so it makes a richer batter, but I always make it with water.  I think that it makes a crispier crepe.  Plus, I'm not a fan of coconut milk.  


Here's a nice little article on banh xeo if you'd like to know more.


Now on to the recipe!


Banh Xeo 
Serves 4
Print this recipe


Ingredients
Crepe batter (adapted from whats4eats.com)

2 cups rice flour 
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt 
1/2 teaspoon turmeric 
2 cups coconut milk (or 2 cups water)
1 cup water 

Filling
3/4 lb pork tenderloin, cut into 1/4-1/2 inch strips (pork butt can be used, it's higher in fat but tastier)
1/2 lb shrimp (cut into 1/2 inch pieces if the shrimp are large)
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 small shallot, finely chopped
3 scallions, sliced
1/2 lb bean sprouts
canola oil


Directions
1. Marinate the pork and shrimp with fish sauce, sugar, black pepper, and shallot for 15 minutes.
2. While meat is marinating, combine all of the ingredients for the crepe batter. Mix well, and stir every so often while making the crepes so the batter does not separate.
3. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a nonstick (must be nonstick!) pan to medium heat. Add a few slices of pork, a few pieces of shrimp, and about a 1/4 cup of bean sprouts.  Cook until the pork is just done.  Spread the meat and bean spouts in the pan so they make an even layer.  



4. Ladle about 3/4 cup - 1 cup of batter into the pan.  While ladling the batter in the pan, swirl the pan quickly to spread the batter out evenly.  This is very important, or else you will just have a glob of batter in the middle of the pan, and it will never get crispy.  It may take a few times to get right, so you may want to practice making plain crepes before you start cooking the meat.  Cook the crepe for approximately 3 minutes, or until crispy.  Then fold the crepe in half and move to a plate.  Top with scallions.  Eat immediately, or place in a 200 degree oven to keep warm while making the rest of the crepes. 



5. Continue process until crepes are finished.  Top with nuoc cham (recipe follows) or wrap in a lettuce leaf with some cilantro and mint and dip in nuoc cham.



***For beginners, it may be easier to take a large pan and cook all of the meat and bean sprouts at one time and set aside in a bowl.  Then make plain crepes and fill with meat and bean sprouts once the crepe has set.


Nuoc Cham 
Serves 4
Print this recipe


Ingredients
4 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 lime
1/2 cup fish sauce (nuoc mam - found in Asian markets)
1/2 cup water
1 small Thai chile (optional)


Directions
1. Peel and smash garlic.  Place in a mortar with the sugar and grind into a paste. (If you do not have a mortar and pestle, just mince the garlic very very finely and mix it with the sugar in a bowl. Use the back of a spoon to smash the garlic and sugar together against the side of the bowl).  If you choose to use the chile, grind it with the garlic and sugar.
2. Add the juice from the lime, fish sauce, and water.  Mix well.  If it tastes a little too strong, dilute it with additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time.  The mixture should be salty, sweet, and a little tart, but should not taste very fishy.  If it does taste fishy, add a little more sugar and water until it tastes right.


***Variation: substitute half of the water and 1/2 tablespoon of sugar for 1/4 cup 7-up or Sprite.


And that is that.  You can now proceed with cramming your face.


If you have any questions, please message me.  I know that this recipe can be a bit confusing, but it is definitely worth it.


xoxo <3
Nhu-Y