Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Banana bread

Bananas

Sing with me guys: "This stuff is bananas, b-a-n-a-n-a-s, this stuff is bananas, b-a-n-a-n-a-s! (Let's keep it PG, my mom might be reading this.)  Things are starting to get bananas around here. I have 3 interviews in 3 states next week, and Mikey has 4 interviews in 4 states.  That's a crap-ton of traveling.  And a crap-ton of money, let me tell ya.  It's like a rite of passage that all fourth year medical students have to drop several thousand dollars every single year to get into residency.  As if we weren't in enough debt.  I'm po'.  That's right, I'm so poor, I'm just po'.



Fortunately, between interviews and emptying my wallet, I have had some time to cook.  Now all I have to do is post! But for now I'm afraid that this will be my last post for about a week because of my interviews.  I think I'm going to try something new.  I'm sure you guys love hearing my life story, but I'm going to keep the posts short so I can get more recipes up - this is a food blog after all.  I'll try to keep the blabbering to a minimum.  




On to the recipe.  This is the simplest banana bread recipe that I know, and it always comes out moist and delicious.  Plus, it only costs pennies (ok, maybe quarters) to make, so it's great for someone who is po' like me.  I like my banana bread without spices or nuts, but if you wanted to add them it would be pretty easy to modify this recipe.  The one downside of this recipe is that it uses Jiffy Baking Mix which has hydrogenated fats.  You can probably substitute it for Bisquick Baking Mix, which has no saturated fats.  


I love to cook healthy foods and I often alter recipes to decrease the amount of fat and calories, but I can never do it with baking.  Baked goods just never taste that good without fat and calories!  You'll see - I have lots of baked goods planned for the holiday season and they all have one ingredient in common - butter. :)




Well, I hope you enjoy the recipe - I'll be having a slice of it for breakfast on the way to the airport tomorrow morning and I can't wait :).


Banana Bread
Serves 8
Print this recipe



Ingredients
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 ½ cups (very ripe!) bananas
½ tsp vanilla
3 eggs
2 1/3 cups baking mix
1 cup sugar
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease the bottom of a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
2. Measure oil, bananas, vanilla, eggs, baking mix, sugar, and nuts into a large bowl. Beat vigorously with a spoon for about 30 seconds. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
3. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 55 to 65 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan. Loosen sides of loaf from the pan. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.



Well, I'll see you guys on the flipside.  Wish me luck and have a fabulous weekend!


xoxo <3
Nhu-Y