Friday, November 4, 2011

Spam musubi

Spamalot


So... how do you like the new look?  I spent half a day with my little brother trying to clean up my blog a bit (thanks Mickey!). I'm still working on it, so if you have any suggestions, please let me know!  Or, if you know how to work a blog, please come help me!  If my little brother wasn't around, you wouldn't be reading this today.  Note to blog newbies - don't try to edit the code! 



While I was in Dayton, Mikey tried a new Hawaiian/Asian place by his apartment and he told me about something called Spam musubi.  Quite frankly, I thought that it sounded like some sort of sea creature. But since I've been back in Columbus, I have eaten Spam musubi 5 times.  And I've only been back for 10 days.  Damn, that's a lot of Spam.


What is Spam musubi, you ask?  Well let me enlighten you, my friends.  Spam musubi is a Hawaiian treat that consists of a slice of grilled/sauteed Spam on a small rectangular bed of rice, all wrapped in nori.  Still confused? (I was.)  No worries, that's what pictures are for :) And a little wiki for those of you who would like even further education.



I used to be very embarrassed about eating Spam.  I was embarrassed by a lot of things growing up since I was one of only 6 Vietnamese students in my school of over 2,000 students (read: very few minorities) - but that discussion is for another day.  People used to make fun of Spam.. so of course I didn't say anything to avoid being even more of an outcast.  But I have something to tell you today - I love Spam.  And when I met Mikey, he introduced me to Spam & Eggs (and rice) - a Filipino way (and perhaps the best way) to eat it.  Since then, I no longer have Spam shame.  And that is why we are made for each other.


Fast forward 3 days..


Sorry I didn't finish this post; I spent the past couple of days prepping for interviews and now I'm interviewing in Kansas City!  The interview is tomorrow, so I'll have to wrap it up soon. This residency interviewing is taking a toll on me already (and I've only been on one interview).  Mikey has a crap-ton of interviews and he's doing an Emergency rotation.  And I am about to have some interviews myself, so we never see each other :(.  For those of you who are new to the blog, Mikey and I have already spent 3 months apart because of our rotations.  Anyways, I'm a tad emotional.  But perhaps that means a sweet treat for you guys soon (I'm an emotional baker).


Now back to your scheduled program of Spam musubi..


To make this a little easier for me, I got a recipe from Allrecipes.com, rather than writing my own.  Here are the edits that I made: 


1. I did not soak the rice for 4 hours - just make sure you rinse it 3-4 times until the water runs clear.
2. I did not add the vinegar to the rice.
3. I did not marinate the Spam - but I did make the marinade mixture and spread a bit of it between the bed of rice and Spam - just make a very small amount of the marinade. 



Spam Musubi (adapted from allrecipes.com)
Makes 10 servings
Print this recipe

Ingredients
2 cups uncooked short-grain white rice
2 cups water
6 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup oyster sauce
1/2 cup white sugar
1 (12 ounce) container fully cooked luncheon meat (e.g. Spam)
5 sheets sushi nori (dry seaweed)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions
1. Soak uncooked rice for 4 hours; drain and rinse.
2. In a saucepan bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in rice vinegar, and set aside to cool.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved. Slice luncheon meat lengthwise into 10 slices, or to desired thickness, and marinate in sauce for 5 minutes.
4. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Cook slices for 2 minutes per side, or until lightly browned. Cut nori sheets in half and lay on a flat work surface. Place a rice press in the center of the sheet, and press rice tightly inside. Top with a slice of luncheon meat, and remove press. Wrap nori around rice mold, sealing edges with a small amount of water. (Rice may also be formed by hand in the shape of the meat slices, 1 inch thick.) Musubi may be served warm or chilled.

Enjoy, my loves.  And do not be ashamed if you fall in love with Spam too :) 

xoxo <3
Nhu-Y

P.S.  I know this post makes it seem like I eat Spam all of the time, but really I just eat it once every few months.  Absence makes the heart (and tongue) grow fonder!